Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Opening Ports 2078 &/Or 2077

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy Opening Ports 2078 &/Or 2077

    I have disabled all firewalls (both CA and MS) and still get an error message that states I can not access my "WEB-Disk" due to ports 2078 and 2077 not being open. How can I be sure that the ports are in fact open and what else would cause the WEB-Disk not to install/open?

    Bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wgedward View Post
    I have disabled all firewalls (both CA and MS) and still get an error message that states I can not access my "WEB-Disk" due to ports 2078 and 2077 not being open. How can I be sure that the ports are in fact open and what else would cause the WEB-Disk not to install/open?

    Bill
    You shouldn't be running more than one firewall. If you have windows firewall, stick to that (unless there's a reason I'm not aware of that you're using all those firewalls?)

    Also, I enabled ports in my firewall, but then I bumped into a "Bad Certificate" problem. I gave up on installilng the certificate in the certicate root thing. I use Win Vista Home.

    I gave up. I can't imagine how Webdisk would make things easier since I'm using Dreamweaver for ftp and such.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wgedward View Post
    I have disabled all firewalls (both CA and MS) and still get an error message that states I can not access my "WEB-Disk" due to ports 2078 and 2077 not being open. How can I be sure that the ports are in fact open and what else would cause the WEB-Disk not to install/open?

    Bill
    If you are behind a router, then you will have to forward the port to your computer's ip address. The reason for this is typically, routers will translate your private IP address into a public one to conform to Internet rules. The traffic coming back has to know where to go. Forwarding the ports for WebDisk will help the router know where to send the traffic so you have complete the connection.

    ~regards
    He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot
    4ChristMinistry.org - Web development tutorials and Community forum.
    Demos - Kicking the tires on some popular software.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You shouldn't be running more than one firewall. If you have windows firewall, stick to that (unless there's a reason I'm not aware of that you're using all those firewalls?)

    Also, I enabled ports in my firewall, but then I bumped into a "Bad Certificate" problem. I gave up on installilng the certificate in the certicate root thing. I use Win Vista Home.

    I gave up. I can't imagine how Webdisk would make things easier since I'm using Dreamweaver for ftp and such.
    I would actually advise not using the Windows Firewall. Though it is a step in the right direction, it is not a bidirectional firewall. It only blocks traffic coming inbound. It does nothing to traffic in the outbound direction. Understanding this makes me question why they call it a firewall in the first place. If anyone has the means, I would definately recommend a third party firewall to protect your local computer.

    You are correct though, it would be best to run only one firewall, though running two will not mess your system up like running two anti-virus/spam filters will. It is common for larger businesses to run multiple firewalls and Intrusion Detection Systems on their networks. They typically use a combination of hardware and software firewalls.

    As far as your certificate errors, you are getting these because you are most likely connecting to your domain name (expected) using a secure protocol. Since you are on a shared host and don't have your own SSL certificate, your are using the host default certificate which is in the name of hostXX.hostmonster.com. This is because the certificate is created using the name of the host. So connecting to https://www.yourdomain.com would produce a certificate error (name mismatch) when trying to connect using a secure protocol. If you connect using the domain name https://hostXX.hostmonster.com/~username, then you would not run into the certificate issues you mentioned.

    ~regards
    He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot
    4ChristMinistry.org - Web development tutorials and Community forum.
    Demos - Kicking the tires on some popular software.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadmego View Post
    I would actually advise not using the Windows Firewall. Though it is a step in the right direction, it is not a bidirectional firewall. It only blocks traffic coming inbound. It does nothing to traffic in the outbound direction. Understanding this makes me question why they call it a firewall in the first place. If anyone has the means, I would definately recommend a third party firewall to protect your local computer.

    You are correct though, it would be best to run only one firewall, though running two will not mess your system up like running two anti-virus/spam filters will. It is common for larger businesses to run multiple firewalls and Intrusion Detection Systems on their networks. They typically use a combination of hardware and software firewalls.

    As far as your certificate errors, you are getting these because you are most likely connecting to your domain name (expected) using a secure protocol. Since you are on a shared host and don't have your own SSL certificate, your are using the host default certificate which is in the name of hostXX.hostmonster.com. This is because the certificate is created using the name of the host. So connecting to https://www.yourdomain.com would produce a certificate error (name mismatch) when trying to connect using a secure protocol. If you connect using the domain name https://hostXX.hostmonster.com/~username, then you would not run into the certificate issues you mentioned.

    ~regards
    That was amazing, shad. Thank you.

  6. #6

    Red face Help by gates

    I must disable the firewalls on the gates 2078 and 2077. How do I do that ?

    Eric

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ammann G. Eric View Post
    I must disable the firewalls on the gates 2078 and 2077. How do I do that ?

    Eric
    You'll have to get a dedicated IP address ($30/year) to open up ports. Talk to HM support.
    Sign Up Now!
    Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Transfer, Host Unlimited domain names, 1 Free Domain Name
    HostMonster Features | HostMonster Help Desk | Become a HostMonster Affiliate
    (866) 573-4678 | Open a support ticket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ankara escort